- Valeriana officinalis L. is a hardy herbaceous perennial, native to
Europe and northern Asia, and is a member of the Valerianaceae family.
- Valerian grows in a wide range of soils but prefers a moist, rich,
The major commercial producers are Belgium, France,
Holland, Germany, Russia, China, and Eastern European countries.
- Valerian is easy to grow and can be cultivated by direct seeding,
transplanting, or by dividing the roots.
- Valerian root is widely used as a mild sedative and for insomnia.
- The root can be distilled into oils and ointments, or dried and used
in teas or capsules.
- It is the root that is used for medicinal purposes, and the rhizome
and roots are usually harvested in fall of the second growing season.
Dried valerian is invariably stored for some time
during the postharvest chain before it is consumed or processed into a
value-added product. During this storage period, changes may occur in
the level of active constituents.
- Valerian’s antispasmodic action makes it a strong muscle relaxant
used in muscle cramping, uterine cramps, and intestinal colic.
- Currently, the largest market for valerian is Europe.
- According to Blakley, there is a growing market for cultivated
valerian root – fresh and dried.
- Most of North American Valeriana officinalis that is on the
market is from cultivated sources.
- Demand in strong for production of certified organic material.
The largest market for herbal medicines using
valerian is Europe, where phytomedicine counter sales in 1990
were $US 2.4 billion, and 65% of this total was in Germany.
Natural Plant Extract
Valerian Root Processing
- Manufacture of Plant Extract
- Liquid Herbal Extract
- Herbs - Powders & Extracts
Order the CD
Medicinal Herb - Saskatchewan
Medicinal Herb - Tasmania
Valerian Root Uses & Effects
Application - Valerian Root Extract
- Effects on Healthy Adults
- Effects on GABA
- Effects on Sleep-wake Cycle
- Cancer Treatment
- Herbal Supplements - Cancer Patients
- in vitro activity
- Children's Medication
Active Components of V.Root & uses
Herbs & Valeriana officinalis
- American Herbal - Valerian Root
- Valerian Herb Details
- Herbs - Valerian
- Herbs like Valerian
- Liquid Herbs
- Herbs for Oil
- HPLC analysis of Herbal Products
Murugappan St, SwamyNagar Ext2,
Ullagaram, Chennai - 600091, India.
91 44 22421080
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile number: 9444008898 Fax : 91