Profile @ a Glance
- Vernacular/common names: shea-butter tree (Eng.), karité
(Fr.) Two subspecies are recognised,
paradoxa and nilotica.
- Botanical name :Vitellaria paradoxa (Gaertner.f.,) Hepper, (syn.
Butyrospermum paradoxum, ssp. parkii)
- Commercial name : Shea butter, Karite Vernacular names Nkuto,
Karite, Burraa Vitellara paradoxa,
- The Shea butter tree, grows throughout Sahelian Africa, from
Senegal to Ethiopia.
- Shea butter is the fat extracted from the kernels of Vitellaria
paradoxa Gaertner (Sapotaceae), which is also known as Butyrospermum
- Shea butter is composed of five principal fatty acids: palmitic,
stearic, oleic, linoleic, and arachidic.
- The fatty acid composition is dominated by stearic and oleic
acids, which together account for 85-90%
- Phenolic compounds are known to have antioxidant properties.
- A recent study characterized and quantified the most important
phenolic compounds in shea butter
- Shea is a low cost substitute product sold mainly into the cocoa
- Although Shea butter offers certain useful technical
characteristics to the chocolate maker, its use in the chocolate
industry depends on its price in relation to that of cocoa butter.
- On the international market, the main cosmetics buyers of Shea
butter/oil are located in Europe and the U.S.A
- Shea butter is used as a fattening agent in cosmetic products,
as well as topical ointments, creams
and lotions. Because of its high content of unsaponifiables, it is
mostly appreciated for facial, hand and body care products, giving a
very pleasant smooth feeling to the skin.
About the Product Shea Nuts
Projects, Processing & Technology
- Vitellaria paradoxa Gaertn. f.
- Shea Butter Fatty Acid Profile
- Shea Butter profile
- Predicting Fruit Production - Use of Indigenous Knowledge in
Predicting Fruit Production of Shea Butter Tree in Agroforestry
Parklands of Uganda. Spacing on farms, Size, Growth Habits.
- Oil Seeds - Product Profile : Shea Nut Yields a Lauric Oil used
by Industrial Manufactures of Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
and with Potential Applications as Cocoa Substitute.
- Shea Butter Project Evaluation
and Comparison of Feasibility.
- Project Concept
- Oil Extraction - Principles, Raw Material Preparation, Methods
of Extraction, Equipment Suppliers and Contact Informations
Vitalleria Production and Collection
Oil - Ultra Refined Shea Oil by Cold Pressing.
- Shea ButterExport Guide
- Shea Nut Market and Technical Survey, Import
and Export, Prices and Quality Standards, List of Importers and
- Feasibility Study & Market Potential
of Shea Nut in Uganda
- Product Profile Shea Butter
- Market Requirements
- EU Imports of Shea Nuts.
- French Imports of Shea Nuts.
- US Imports of Shea Nuts.
- Marketing Manual - End Users : Chocolate, Cosmetics & Natural
Product Industries, Shea Nut Grinding and Pressing Procedure,
Clinical Properties of Shea Butter, Organizational Contact list,
Buyers Contact List.
Order the CD ROM Today
Products & Company Profiles
- Consumption of Shea Nut - Standards for Chocolate Products.
- Quality of Shea Butter - Reinforcing Production and processing
for the Market - Raising the Quality and Reducing the Shea Odor
Articles of Interest
- Shea Butter is a remarkable, all-purpose,
moisturizer and skin protector.
- Black Herbals
- Sun Feather-Natural Soap
Spring/Summer 2005 Catalogue
Shea Butter Shampoo
Solar Cooker - Shea Butter Production by Solar Energy, Solar Cookers
& Solar dryers.
- Shea Nut Production and Collection in
Agroforestry Parklands, Yield Determinants, Research Needs for the
improvement of Shea Nut production, Land and Tree Tenure, Butter
Composition and Quality
- Picking Shea Nuts
- Dry Land Products
- Processing - Shea butter
Globalization & Shea Butter
Results and Impacts - Time saved in shea Nuts Crushing Process
Shea Nut Beans
Africans Natural Products - Potential for growth of Natural
Products, Challenges facing NP Producers, Natural Components of
Cosmetics and Personal Care Products.
LuLu Livelihood Programme
Cultivation - Gender Relations, Commercial Horticulture and Threats
to Local Plant Diversity in Rural Mali.
Bio Energy News - Biomass Fuels burnt to date which include Shea Nut
Meal and Palm, Shea Nut - Renewable Fuel.